Sunday, June 1, 2008

PROMISES WE MAKE

We all have made promises in our lives. And we would all have counted the number of promises we delivered. But have we counted the COSTS of delivering on those promises? By costs, I do not mean physical monetary costs, but all that would have cost us, physically and mentally, tangible and intangible.

Keeping promises can mean mental anguish, heart aches and head aches. Promising to remain patient and tolerant with people can be one such example. The more patient we are, the more we seem to be taken advantage of. Silence and tolerance become interpreted as weaknesses by the "predator" who becomes emboldened in his or her ways, especially if this predator is someone within your family.

By being patient, I was hoping that the person receiving the kindness will improve on his or her ways. I was also hoping that the show of patience will touch the person so much so that he or she will realize the mistakes made and seriously attempt to reform. But each time, I will be disappointed. And each year which passes brings about more disappointments.

Thoughts of reneging on that promise I made crossed my mind several times over the years for I am just as human too. Humans succumb to pain and disappointment, and the natural reaction will be to say "to hell with the affliction". But when my better senses came back, I reminded myself again of that promise and was able to come to terms with the situation.

Perhaps when I draw my last breath, I will be able to feel that sense of relief in having honoured my promise to that someone so dear to me. But by then, would it have mattered?

No comments: